Stay up-to-date with Caritas Australia's work and events. Caritas staff and supporters blog about activities and events they are involved with around Australia and the world. www.caritas.org.au
Monday, April 11, 2011
Finding Inspiration Through Project Compassion
Kirsty Robertson, Caritas Australia's Communications Group Leader, shares her touching tale of speaking for Project Compassion:
This year I was especially excited about Project Compassion because the story from Week 5 of the PC materials was a young guy I met in Samoa, Kose. Kose is about the same age as me and I met him in the days after the Samoan tsunami when he and many others like him had no water, no food, and no hope. I visited Kose again just before Christmas last year, a year after the tsunami. I saw the new house that he helped to build and I sensed the hope he had for a new, brighter future thanks to his involvement in Caritas’ project.
I love going out to speak at PC time to share my stories. For Project Compassion last year I travelled around the Diocese of Armidale so it was wonderful that this year I returned to the same Diocese, to many of the same schools and saw many familiar faces.
While PC speaking a highlight is always meeting the people who help Kose and others like him without even meeting them- I find that inspiring.
While talking to some kindergarten students at St Xavier’s Primary School in Gunnedah a small child put up his hand to say “We have lots of food in our lunch box, can we share that with the poor children?”. Needless to say it was a difficult question to answer but also a reminder that a fairer, more just world is conceivable, even in the mind of a 5 year old.
Kose's Story >>
Labels:
Aid,
Caritas Australia,
Disaster,
Emergency,
Project Compassion,
Relief,
Samoa,
Tsunami

No comments:
Post a Comment