Ever wondered what it's like to share the story of Project Compassion? Krystie Tham, Caritas Australia's administration officer for the Communications, Fundraising and MetSyd teams, found out this past weekend.
Last Saturday evening, I had the chance to visit Dulwich Hill Parish to speak about Project Compassion on behalf of Caritas Australia.
As it was my first time speaking, I was quite nervous. My mind was full of “what if” thoughts – what if I was boring them? What if I dried up completely? What if…?
All my fears were banished once I’ve introduced myself to the parish administrator, Fr. James Ting. He shook and held my hands, and said to me “Welcome to our parish Krystie. It is good to have you here”. It was such a warm and heartfelt welcome.
My speech went smoothly and everyone was paying close attention (I’d like to imagine!). One parishioner said that it was good to hear how their monies are spent; and that they could relate to the stories told.
That night, Fr. James invited me to have dinner at his house next to the church. He was overjoyed by having a fellow Malaysian who shared the same love for food. Fr. James cooked a wonderful meal of curry chicken, prawns, bok choi and even dished out his home-made salted fish! He told me that he often cooks for his parishioners and they love his food, especially his laksa!
Fr. James’ kindness and hospitality made me realise how wonderful it is to belong to a church community. The role that a priest plays is a very vital in motivating our spiritual sense. The way the parishioners crowd around Fr. James after mass to talk to him, how children come up to say hello, shows how beloved he is in their community and I felt honoured to be welcomed into it.

No comments:
Post a Comment