Friday, April 1, 2011

Local actions help overcome poverty around the world

Alex Engel, Caritas Australia's Campaigns Coordinator, has been on a whirlwind speaking tour across Western Australia for the past week. She's shared her experience about working in the development sector and inspired others to take action for social justice.

"I spoke today at St John of God hospital in Geraldton – there was a fantastic group of around 10 staff that attended, and we had a really engaging conversation about local actions people could take in Australia to alleviate poverty around the world.

One of the staff members asked me how I defined ‘success’ in my job. I answered that for me, success was seeing everyday Australians become interested in our work and really want to become informed about the structural causes of poverty that are affecting our partners. Because when that interest develops into behavioural change, for example organising local events to raise awareness or by buying fair trade products in their organisations and homes, things can really start to make a difference."

Know some tips everyday Australians can use to help make a difference? We'd love to hear about them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment