Thursday, September 16, 2010

Degradation by the Sea wins in WA

Congratulations to the 2010 Angelico Art Award winner — Belinda Bonomelli.

Every year the Catholic Performing Arts Committee hosts an art exhibition for Catholic Secondary Schools in WA. Caritas Australia provides an award at the "Angelico Exhibition". This year's theme was "Blueprint for a Better World".


My entire life I have grown up along the western coastline of Australia, the beach being a significant part of my life. My family has always encouraged and supported my love and passion for the ocean. This is reflected through my involvement in surf lifesaving and regular fishing trips with my grandfather and father.

Throughout my research I have become aware that my beach lifestyle and my identity will be directly affected by current and ongoing environmental issues and marine degradation. My goal is to create awareness not only to my peers and family but also to the wider community about the need to care for our environment.

My intent is to express strong environmental statements intelligently and with a high degree of aesthetic complexity. My work comments on contemporary society’s demand and expectation of the picturesque lifestyle, whilst we continue to destroy and pollute the environment. I hope to make a difference by sharing a positive message about beauty that can be gained from the aesthetic experience of appreciating art, as well as giving examples of how we can recycle and reuse in creative ways.

Depicted in my artwork I deliberately utilised recycled materials to convey and comment on the human experience and impact of human degradation of marine life. I have taken blue rubbish found washed up along the Quinns/Mindarie and Dunsborough coastline and incorporated this “ocean litter” into my work, underlying these environmental messages which is a worldwide phenomenon affecting beaches on a global level. I have also added the element of light as it enhances the beauty of the piece as well as symbolising the bioluminescence widespread in marine environment.

Like WA artist Cecile Williams, who uses found objects washed up on the coast of Christmas Island, to create dioramas that tackle environmental issues I have attempted to take a post modernist approach to my art. I have also appropriated Clare Prebble’s wire techniques throughout my artwork.

This artwork exemplifies my commitment as an artist to express contemporary social and environmental concerns and hope to express a certain beauty as well as containing the unique environmental messages.

Belinda Bonomelli

No comments:

Post a Comment