Thursday, October 15, 2009

Before, during and after…

We went out to Satitoa and Poutasi again today. It is strange to go back there again. A lot has changed — they have started the clean up, some of the villagers have moved to Apia to stay with family for a while and others are in the makeshift tents and shelters.

I heard stories of lucky escapes and of others who just couldn't save their children or wives. One thing that is common for all though is a desire to rebuild and to heal. The resilience of kids is so obvious, they are busy playing volleyball and soccer while their parents are still grieving.

I left feeling a little guilty as in a way life in Apia and I guess all over the world moves forward but for these people their lives have changed forever. They are used to us coming now and have noticed that some of the other agencies aren't coming around anymore. They asked for how long we will be around and Tini — the Director of Caritas Samoa said "we are here for all times".

I know we have said it one hundred times in the Sydney Caritas Australia office, "Before, during and after emergencies — we are there" but I guess in the 8 months I have worked there this is the first time I have really seen it in action.

Caritas Australia Assists with the reconstruction effort in Satitoa.

Kirsty Robertson, Caritas Australia Pacific Program Coordinator writing from Samoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment