Comfort Mensah, from Ghana West Africa, recently wrapped up her internship with Caritas Australia's fundraising team. Here, she shares some of her life story and insights into her work in our Sydney office.
They started their journey from Nigeria, then moved to France, Canada and finally landed in America—the land of opportunities. Since my parents left their children in Ghana, we were split between family members. I was taken away from my brother and sister to live in a different town and was raised my aunt. It was my dream to migrate to America to live with my parents and siblings.
That dream became a reality in 2002. It was a culture shock. I left behind the family I have known for fourteen years to live with my own family in a new country. It was a challenge that changed my life tremendously. I was the first child to attend college and I graduated from SUNY Oswego with Bachelors in Global and International Studies with a concentration in Global Culture.
However when I was given the opportunity to become an intern at Caritas Australia, I was thrilled and very anxious but I knew it was going to be inspiring and a lifetime experience. To work for an organization that is focused on international aid and development is a privilege.
Caritas Australia is packed with employees who are very dedicated to the vision and the mission of the organization. Every time I come to work, I see the hard work every department puts into their works. I am very passionate about this organization because I feel contented to know that they work in African countries including Kenya, Congo, Zambia, and many more. The diversity in the workplace is stimulating.
After working with Caritas Australia I am inspired to start my own campaign to help the organization to expand more and have more programs in other African countries.
My campaign will be known as RUN FOR AFRICA (RFA). I will like to bring awareness to people on how they can do little things to make major differences toward global issues.
I truly enjoyed my time here and it has changed my life personally and professionally."
Thank you so much for sharing your time, dedication and passion with us Comfort!
Are you interested in volunteer work with Caritas Australia? Send us an email at jobs@caritas.org.au
No comments:
Post a Comment